Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Ocean & Tide Pools

Wow, it has been a long time. I had a rough 2009, my mother was ill and passed away in May. It seems I am getting back on track.

So here goes....

The Ocean and Letter O

Overall Curriculum Objective:
Introduce the letter N through stories, songs and activities.
Provide activities that require matching objects & creating pairs; classify b y group of mixed size and color.
Encourage students to care for their own bodies and dress & fasten their own clothing.
Introduce tide pools & oecan through songs, stories, games and art activities

Some books in our library
A House For A Hermit Crab
Star fish
Octopus
Swimmy
On The Beach
How To Hide a Octopus
Swimmy
Exploring The Seashore
The Rainbow Fish
The Bay
Shellfish Aren’t Fish
Over In The Ocean
Sharks

Monday & Tuesday:
Music: Sing about sharks and move like them too
Small Group: Create a letter 0 booklet with an O octopus and illustrate words that begin with O
Book: Olive Octopus
Activity: What begins with O songs - Write a class “Beach Story”

Wednesday:
Music: Make up our own lyrics to “1 little, 2 Little, 3 little fish, dolphin, sharks,….”
Small Group: Create a letter 0 booklet with an O octopus and illustrate words that begin with O
Book: Olive Octopus
Activity: What begins with O songs -Write a class “Beach Story”

Thursday:
Music: Make up our own lyrics to “1 little, 2 Little, 3 little fish, dolphin, sharks, ….”
Small Group: Create an Ocean collage
Book: Over In The Ocean
Activity: Sharing Day –Create fishy prints

Friday:
Music: “Angle Fish” dancing with scarves
Small Group: Sponge paint a tide pool scene
Book: Rainbow Fish
Activity: Sharing Day –Create fishy Prints

Work Jobs:
Cubes
Snape cubes
Connects
Snap Fish
Magnetos
Wooden puzzles
Floor puzzle –
Animal sequencing

Free Art:
Easel painting
Collage materials for creating beach scenes & tide pools
Play dough with tools
Watercolors
Markers, crayons, pencils, oil pastels

Block & Accessories:
Arks & pairs of animals
Boats
Fish, star fish, crabs
Sea shells & rocks
Curved blocks
Rainbow blocks
Legos

Dramatic Play: The Beach House: Sea Creatures, fishing poles, beach chair, kitchen furniture, food.

Writing Center: Letter O worksheets, Simple Dot-To-Dot, paper, pencils, space stencils, Words to copy pertaining to tide pools and the beach.

Water table- Water with sponges, sprinkler cans, “barge” (meat trays) and objects to put on the ‘barge’.

Sand table- Sand with small pails, shovels and shells

The Beach Story:
By:________________________

I went to the beach today,

The sun was as hot as _______________.

The sky was as blue as ______________.

The ocean as cold as ________________.

I swam in the water just like a ________.

I played in the sand and built a ____________.

While I was walking around, I found _______________.

I love to run on the beach like a _________________.

I had fun at the beach.


Songs & Finger Plays


Water Chant

Water, water everywhere
On my face and on my hair.
On my fingers, on my toes.
Water, water on my nose.

By Jean Warren

I’m A Little Fishy (sung to I’m a Little Teapot)

I’m a little fishy, I can swim.
Here is my tail and here is my fin.
When I want to have fun with my friends,
I wiggle my tail and dive right-in.

We’re Little Orange Crabs (sung to “The Farm In The Dell”)

We’re Little orange crabs,
Who live down by the sea.
And wherever we do go,
We’re quick as quick can be.

We’re little orange crabs,
Who like to run and hide.
And when you see us walking by,
It’s always side-to-side.

The Jelly Fish (My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean)

The jelly fish lives in the ocean,
The jelly fish lives in the sea.
The jelly fish lives in the ocean,
Oh, jelly fish swim by me.
Swim, Swim, swim, swim,
Oh, jelly fisy swim by me, by me.
Swim, swim, swim, swim,
Oh, jelly fish swim by me.

Let’s Take Care of Every One (Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star)

Seaweed, sea stars, giant whales,
Coral, crabs and fish with tails.
They live in the ocean blue,
And make a web of life, it’s true.
Let’s take care of every one,
For our job is never done.

No comments: